Design and Optimization of Coating Materials using MAPS
September 28, 2017 at 7:00am PST/10:00am EST/4:00pm CET
This is part of Scienomics' monthly web seminar series which covers all aspects of Materials Science modeling and simulations with MAPS software platform including strategic application of M&S tools to solve business critical scientific challenges. If you are interested in previously recorded webinars, please email email@example.com.
Coatings have many functions such as decoration and protection of substrates. Functional coatings include anti-corrosion, fire retarding, water proofing and anti bacterial coating materials. Coatings are able to dramatically increase the durability of materials, e.g., by improving the scratch or abrasion resistance. Additionally, coatings are often used as adhesives. Several aspects of these materials are important, the most common being:
- Coating behavior on surfaces even on complex substrates under extreme conditions.
- Understand and design adhesion between different coating layers & between coating and substrate, including inter-coat adhesion and surface migration.
- Meet new requirements: Replace current coating material with environmentally better ones; reduction of Biocides /VOC compliance; Substitution of solvent-borne coatings with water based coatings, higher solids, powder coatings as environmental regulations become increasingly stringent throughout the world.
- Or reduce costs by substituting expensive components such as TiO2.
In this webinar we will demonstrate how these types of materials can be studied with a variety of molecular modeling techniques, including atomistic simulations, mesoscale modeling and machine learning following the concept of BUILD > SIMULATE > ANALYZE implemented in Scienomics' MAPS platform. Real life applications will be addressed where MAPS provides key insights into coating materials and guides experiments to improve the design and optimization of these materials with a focus on
- Anti Corrosion Coatings
- Smart coatings
- Hydrophobic and Water repelling coatings
Anyone interested in coatings, polymers, and/or adhesives will benefit from this free webinar and Q&A session. We will be pleased to have you with us!